This photo is from the City of Amsterdam in 1970. Replacing car trips can move just as many people, but in a more efficient way. If every person continued to drive as a single occupant in a vehicle and drove for every trip they did in a day, we would be in a constant state of gridlock in some areas. Replacing road trips can be done in many ways. While you may not be able to replace all car trips, you generally can replace some.
At the City of Cockburn we have taken the following steps to help staff members replaces some car trips some of the time:
- Flexible work times mean that we don't drive one in ten working days.
- Staff generally car pool to attend most meetings.
- Some meetings are conducted electronically, webinars, email, phone etc. without the need for everyone to be in the same room.
- A phone call or an email is often all that is required, rather than a face to face meeting with the associated travel time.
- Teleconferencing is being set up at our offices so we can reduce some car travel when we can.
- The seniors bus is stored securely offsite overnight and is used as a staff shuttle bus to pick up staff each morning and afternoon and transfer them to and from the train station.
Discuss this story
2 CommentsPlease login to comment