Mount Lawley Primary School (MLPS) Principal Kylie Moss, Deputy Principal Sandra Martin, teachers, the sustainability student leaders and the P&C’s Traffic Management Group (TMG) have achieved so much this year! By participating in the Department of Transport's (DoT) Your Move program, which encourages parents / students to ride, walk or scoot to and from school, we have successfully earned the following during 2021:
- $7,499 from the DoT Your Move Connecting Schools Grant! This grant will help contribute to bicycle and scooter racks and an in-situ bike maintenance station at MLPS
- Infrastructure improvement works due to the Safe Routes to School program. These infrastructure works couldn't have happened without the ongoing support from the DoT and the City of Stirling
- Free bike education sessions for Year 1 students (due to accumulating the Your Move points from last year)
- Free umbrellas this year from the Your Move program to then distribute to students who won the colouring in competition for Park it for the Planet.
We have also held several fantastic events this year including:
- Ride2School Day, Park it for the Planet and World Car Free Day! We have definitely seen an increase in students riding, walking and scooting to and from school. Ultimately, by choosing active transportation it reduces CO2 emissions, improves student wellbeing and minimises vehicular congestion surrounding MLPS
- The final event this year is ‘Decorate your bike / scooter day’ so let’s hope there is lots of festive spirit and decoration! Stay tuned.
There are many other small wins, however, the P&C’s TMG could not have achieved the above if we didn't receive the support from the school community, the City of Stirling and Your Move! A big thank you to the continued support from Principal Kylie Moss, Deputy Principal Sandra Martin, the sustainability student leaders, the TMG representatives (John Caporn, Manjusha Thorpe and Sharnie Stuart) plus the lovely teachers and school community.
This story is related to Annual Reflections on Achievements (2)
Discuss this story
2 CommentsPlease login to comment